We use Read-Write Inc as the basis for our phonics teaching, but have adapted it for our school. Furthermore, we provide additional support for any of our children who are less confident with phonic reading strategies.
Five key principles underpin the teaching in Read Write Inc:
- Participation – our teaching strategies ensure that all children participate fully in the whole lesson – there is no chance for children to lose concentration and miss key elements of the teaching
- Praise – children work together, as partners, taking turns to teach and praise one another and they are motivated by the focused praise they receive from teachers and teaching assistants
- Pace – a lively pace keeps all the children fully engaged
- Purpose – our teachers know the purpose of every activity and how it leads into the next
- Passion – it is easy for our teachers to be passionate about their teaching because they see their children make such rapid progress.
If you would like to find out more about Read-Write Inc. take a look at Ruth Miskin’s website.